Anyone who finds themselves in an unexpected or short-term crisis benefits from Gather My Crew.
Gather My Crew is the practical tool that bridges the gap between those who are gathering help and the crew of people able to provide support. Users of Gather My Crew are defined as Gatherers or Crew Members.
Needing support and providing support
A Gatherer can be one of two kinds of people:
- Someone who experiences a crisis and uses Gather My Crew to coordinate their own help; or
- Someone who uses Gather My Crew on behalf of a person experiencing a crisis (similar to a proxy).
Crew Members are those people who are willing, able and ready to help someone in crisis.
Benefits for Gatherers
Gather My Crew makes it easier to ask for help and reduces the sense of isolation often felt during times of need. The support Gather My Crew provides enables life to go on and promotes well-being and speed of recovery among people experiencing a crisis.
Further benefits for gatherers include:
- Being able to coordinate the specific and practical help required
- Reducing negative impacts such as anxiety and distress
- Improving the ability to focus on getting through each day
- Allowing someone else to coordinate help on a gatherer’s behalf
- Diminishing embarrassment felt by those doing the asking
- Enabling family members to keep working during the crisis to prevent further financial pressure.
In the video below, cancer survivor Lisa Hinchy shares her story and explains how Gather My Crew would have helped her family during her crisis.
Benefits for Crew Members
The electronic task list, generated after a Gatherer identifies what help is required, makes it easier for Crew Members to accept only the tasks they are able to do. They are not left having to turn down requests for help or accept tasks they can’t do.
Family, friends, colleagues and peers benefit from knowing they are providing genuinely useful support.
The act of reaching out to others and asking for help has been described by loved ones as a ‘gift’. Relationships with friends and family can become stronger through the process of asking for help and receiving meaningful support.
The community also benefits because Gather My Crew can reduce pressure on health services, hospitals and community support services that have limited resources to support those in short-term crisis.